Why the Award?
More than 60 research projects have been funded by JPI Climate since 2011. These funded research projects mainly aim to foster development of coherent research activities and to maximize impact of climate change research in Europe and beyond. In this context, close collaboration with stakeholders is key in these projects.
The JPI Climate Excellence Award for Social Impact is aiming to celebrate the research team that made an excellent performance in creating social impact via its JPI Climate funded research project. After so many years and several research calls, we want to put a spotlight on one of our best performing teams and promote their best performance to create social impact via research to the European and international climate change community.
The winning team will receive:
- The JPI Climate Excellence Award for Social Impact with long-term online recognition as best performing team on the JPI Climate website – the virtual AWARD wall.
- Online promotion package including:
- Presentation of the research team and their social impact via news and social media channels, targeting the European and international community
- Graphical support package including a project illustration to showcase their “story of change“
- Keynote speech at the next JPI Climate Scoping Forum Symposium
Who is eligible to submit a nomination?
Individual researchers or research teams that have been funded by the following JPI Climate calls (with demonstrable first results) are eligible to be nominated for the JPI Climate Excellence Award for Social Impact:
- 2019 – SOLSTICE Call on Enabling Societal Transformation in the Face of Climate Change
- 2019 – JPI Climate & JPI Oceans Joint Transnational Call on Next Generation Climate Science in Europe for Oceans
- 2018 – AXIS Joint Call for Transnational Collaborative Research Projects
- 2016 – ERA4CS Joint Call on Researching and Advancing Climate Services Development
- 2015 – Call for Climate Services Collaborative Research action on Climate Predictability and Inter-regional Linkages (together with the Belmont Forum)
- 2013 – Call for Transnational Collaborative Research Projects
Submission starts from October 19 onwards and will be closed on November 19, 2021, 12:00 (GMT+1). Submissions focus mainly on two components:
1. A description of the activities and social impacts
2. Three testimonials from stakeholders and target groups that have benefited from the project, including their signatures.
The jury consists out of representatives from JPI Climate and its wider community that are representing sectors of science, policy, business and society. The jury will evaluate all submissions between November 22 and December 3. The winning team will be announced by December 15, 2021.
We will score the submissions based on 2 criteria:
- The significance of the social impact via research activities and research results
- Demonstrable societal impacts and contributions to societal transformation for resilience and sustainability
Submission form (click to go to the submission form)
For enquiries and questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
*Submissions of good quality may be contacted for permission to include in the JPI Climate database of good practices.
The JPI Climate Excellence Award for Social Impact is organised by SINCERE (Strengthening INternational Cooperation on climatE change Research), a EC H2020 Coordination and Support Action (Grant agreement ID: 776609), that aims to strengthen the delivery of the JPI Climate Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA), building on existing collaborations, such as with other JPIs, the business sector and global financial institutions, and other key international research, policy and societal actors.