The 2022 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP27) takes place from 6-18 November 2022, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt. At this summit, UN member states will discuss the global fight against climate change. Both climate mitigation (reducing the emission of greenhouse gases) and climate adaptation (adapting to new conditions) will be discussed at the COP27.
CMCC, member of JPI Climate, will organize the hybrid side event at COP27 : ‘Launching a European Climate Science Assessment Mechanism for Policy Support‘, in collaboration with EAERE and SISC, supported by MAGICA.
17 November 2022 – 16:45 pm EET time (15:45 pm CET time) – Room: Tutankhamun
- Frank McGovern, JPI Climate, Chair (Session chair person)
- Eamon Ryan*, Irish Minister for the Environment, Climate and Communications
- Clara De la Torre*, European Commission: Director General Climate Action
- Simone Borghesi, EAERE President-Elect, Director FSR Climate, EUI and University of Siena
- Phoebe Koundouri, EAERE President, AUEB, Co-Chair UN SDSN Europe
- Marinella Davide, Ca’ Foscari University, Harvard University, CMCC and SISC
- Massamba Thioye, Executive, Cimate Change Innovation Hub, UNFCCC
* to be confirmed
We recognise the urgency of actions to address the causes and consequences of climate change as manifested by the recent extreme drought during Summer 2022. Actions in response and to prevent disasters need to be informed by the best available science, whose strategic focus now includes the acceleration of the development and transfer of climate knowledge from research and innovation to policy and decision making in support of climate actions. For this JPI Climate is proposing a new European structure which addresses strategic gaps, and which will significantly enhance the profile and use of the outcomes from European investments in research and systematic observations. This envisions a European scientific assessment/stocktaking process, that is focused on three key interlinked challenges i.e. achievement of
1. Climate neutrality
2. Climate resilience and
3. Management of transition and societal transformation (social & economic).
Info and contact person:
Giulia Galluccio – firstname.lastname@example.org
The side event will be livestreamed on the official COP27 YouTube channel. For those attending on site, please kindly note that the side event will be located in the Blue Zone where a specific UNFCCC accreditation is needed.
Other activities organized by JPI Climate programme & MAGICA project partners during this COP are:
Back ground links: