( >> download vacancy as pdf)
JPI Climate is a partnership between 14 European countries to coordinate jointly their climate research and to initiate and support new transnational research initiatives. JPI Climate connects scientific disciplines, enables cross-border research and increases the science-practice interaction.
JPI Climate contributes to the overall EU objective of developing a European Research Area and interacts with the EU’s Horizon 2020 programme in support of excellent science, industrial leadership and the European response to one of the great societal challenges of our times - climate change.
The overall coordination and day-to day management of the initiative is supported by a Central Secretariat which is currently being built up inside the premises of the Belgian federal Science Policy Office - BELSPO in Brussels and which has the following main functions:
- facilitating the transnational collaboration and coordination of member state driven activities;
- ensuring communication and information flow between the different bodies of JPI Climate (Governing Board, Management Committee, Working Groups, Transdisciplinary Advisory Board, Expert Panels);
- enabling the integration and communication of JPI Climate activities and developing a strategic liaison of the JPI Climate with European and international initiatives.
For the new JPI Climate Central Secretariat in Brussels we are currently looking for a
to support the Executive Director of the JPI Climate Central Secretariat in fulfilling her tasks.
Duties and responsibilities
- to facilitate networking and communication within JPI Climate and with other initiatives and stakeholders at national, European and global level
- to facilitate, support and follow-up the processes of joint activities (e.g. joint strategic planning, joint calls)
- to support new activities such as joint calls and co-alignment processes
- to provide to the Governing Board with regular reporting for approval, such as an annual activity and financial plan
- to monitor and report on outgoing activities in the different JPI Climate bodies
- to prepare and follow up Governing Board meetings in close cooperation with the Chairs.
Requirements and qualifications
- Previous experience in managing and coordinating international activities
- Previous experience in networking climate research and related science policy fields
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English. Knowledge of French and/or Dutch would be an asset
- Graduated at Master or preferably PhD level in climate sciences
Starting date: 1st of December 2014
Contract: 2 years contract under Belgian law with the possibility of extension
- Conform the legislation and receivable seniority
- The applied salary scales are those of the Belgian federal scientific institutions. Gross monthly salary starts at 6.104 €/month (equivalent of 8 years relevant experience).
Please send your complete electronic application with reference letters in English to secretariat(at)jpi-climate.belspo.be until the 23th of October at midnight.
Requests for additional information can be send to the same address.